Rahane announces retirement from all forms of cricket

Ajinkya_Rahane
Ajinkya_Rahane (PC: X)

Ajinkya Rahane, the former India captain, announced his retirement from all forms of cricket on July 30 (Thursday). Rahane, who made his India debut in 2011, played 195 internationals for the country and accumulated over 8000 runs. 

Rahane put out a video statement on his instagram account, saying: “The reality of life is that everything has a beginning and everything has an end. When the time comes, we simply have to respect it and move forward. I have always relied on timing in my batting and I have always understood its importance. Today, I feel the timing is right for me to move on and announce my retirement from international cricket and all formats.

“From those early days traveling from Dombivli as a young boy just to practice, I gave this game everything I had. Every single day, every innings, every opportunity I got to bat, the dream was always to wear the India cap. I lived by one simple rule: always put my country and my team ahead of myself.I played this game with complete honesty and I have always believed that if your intent is right, the game will always take care of you. Since the time I made my debut as a first-class cricketer, Indian cricket has grown tremendously and I feel so proud to have been a part of over the last 20 years. While my chapter as an Indian cricketer comes to an end, my journey with the game doesn’t.

“And a very special thank you to all the cricket fans who supported me through every high and low.Ajinkya means unbeatable, but cricket has shown me defeat many times. As cricketers, we fail more often than we succeed. My team has lost matches, I have made mistakes, but there is one place where I was never defeated, and that was in your hearts. (In Marathi) You always treated me like your own.Thank you for your love, your faith, and your support. Cap number 278, signing off,” he added.

Rahane accumulated 5077 runs at an average of 38.46 in Test cricket. In the longest format of the game, he is best remembered for his knocks at the MCG, Wellington and Lord’s. In fact, he notched up two Test tons at the MCG, with his 112 turning out to be the cornerstone of India’s stunning comeback in the Test series played in 2020-21. During that series in Australia, India were 0-1 down after suffering a crushing defeat in Adelaide. Rahane, who took over the reins after the Adelaide Test, then steered the side to a famous 2-1 series win. 

Rahane also scored three ODI hundreds and aggregated over 14000 first-class runs. His highest individual score of 265 not out in first-class cricket came for Mumbai against Hyderabad. 

The post Rahane announces retirement from all forms of cricket appeared first on Sports News Portal | Revsportz.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Consistent Nicholas Pooran can be world’s top T20 batter

From scoring ton in Patna to taking on bouncers like a ‘bullet’ in Perth – Nitish’s story of perseverance

Turning the clock back by 0.12 seconds