We will have a proper plan for Vaibhav Sooryavanshi: Ibrahim Zadran on upcoming T20I series against India

Ibrahim Zadran on Vaibhav Sooryavanshi
Ibrahim Zadran on Vaibhav Sooryavanshi (PC: Ibrahim Zadran and Vaibhav Sooryavanshi Insta)

The upcoming three-match T20I series against India will be Ibrahim Zadran’s first as Afghanistan’s permanent T20I captain since succeeding Rashid Khan. Zadran was appointed captain by the Afghanistan Cricket Board following the team’s group-stage exit from the 2026 T20 World Cup. The 24-year-old previously led Afghanistan in 11 T20Is between 2023 and 2025, winning five matches while losing five. He is currently representing the SC Jaffna Kings in the Lanka Premier League. Following Jaffna’s convincing victory over the Kandy Royals,on Sunday, at the Rangiri Dambulla International Stadium, the Afghanistan top-order batter took some time out for an exclusive interview with RevSportz. Here are the excerpts.

Afghanistan are set to play a three-match T20I series against India. You must be looking forward to it… 

Ibrahim Zadran: We have been preparing ourselves well. It’s going to be a huge series. It will be the first time we are hosting India in India, so we just need to work on our skills and look forward to having a good series against them.

You have played in Lucknow, Greater Noida and Dehradun before, but this will be the first time you will host India in India. Your thoughts?

Ibrahim Zadran: Yes, as I said earlier, it will be the first time we are hosting India in India. We have played a few games in Delhi before, so we have some experience. We just need to prepare well, keep things simple, enjoy ourselves and give our best. Let’s see how the series goes.

You must be looking forward to breaking the jinx of never having beaten India in international cricket…

Ibrahim Zadran: We have played some really good cricket against India. I can’t guarantee that we will beat them, but we will definitely give our best in every game. We have had some close matches against them in both T20Is and ODIs, including ICC events. We will try to challenge them and hopefully beat them. The key is to focus on our own game, give 100 percent and enjoy ourselves.

Vaibhav Sooryavanshi has become a sensation in T20 cricket. How excited is the Afghanistan team about facing him?

Ibrahim Zadran: We are excited. He is a very talented player. We will keep things simple and make sure we have a proper plan against him. He is one of the best young talents, and we will use our experience to challenge him.

Ibrahim Zadran in ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2026
Ibrahim Zadran in ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 (PC: Ibrahim Zadran Insta)

You are now the captain of Afghanistan’s T20I side, replacing Rashid Khan, who in turn is a legend in this format. How do you look at taking over this responsibility?

Ibrahim Zadran: Rashid is one of the best and a true legend of the game. My job is to give 100 percent, every time I step onto the field. I don’t think too much about comparisons. I just focus on doing my best.

Can you share your thoughts on the experience of playing in the Lanka Premier League?

Ibrahim Zadran: It has been a great experience so far in the Lanka Premier League. I have been trying to learn a lot of new things. I played here two years ago, and this is my second time in the LPL.

You have played in T20 leagues around the world. You would be hoping to play in the IPL…

Ibrahim Zadran: Yes, I have always wanted to play in the IPL. My name has been in the auction a couple of times, but unfortunately, I wasn’t picked. My aim is to play in the IPL one day. I keep working hard every day to improve my skills because everyone knows the IPL is played at the highest standard. To succeed there, you need the right skills, mindset and preparation. Hopefully, one day I will get that opportunity.

How disappointing was it for Afghanistan’s players to miss out on the Super 8 stage of the T20 World Cup?

Ibrahim Zadran: We were obviously disappointed because Afghanistan is a very strong T20 side. I think we couldn’t execute our plans the way we wanted to. But that’s part of cricket. We will prepare ourselves mentally and improve our skills for the next World Cup. Hopefully, we’ll come back stronger.

Finally, as the T20I captain of Afghanistan, what is your goal going forward?

Ibrahim Zadran: I have definitely set a few goals. The most important thing is to stay positive, enjoy my cricket and keep improving.

For More Exciting Articles: Follow RevSportz

The post We will have a proper plan for Vaibhav Sooryavanshi: Ibrahim Zadran on upcoming T20I series against India appeared first on Sports News Portal | Revsportz.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Consistent Nicholas Pooran can be world’s top T20 batter

From scoring ton in Patna to taking on bouncers like a ‘bullet’ in Perth – Nitish’s story of perseverance

Turning the clock back by 0.12 seconds