T Dilip: ‘When a catch is dropped, I put myself in the player’s shoes’

 

Image :X

In this exclusive conversation with T Dilip, he opens up about handling failures as a coach, understanding players individually and adapting training methods to bring out the best in each player. He speaks about the responsibility that comes with coaching, including taking the brunt when the team underperforms, while acknowledging that the credit belongs to the players when the team succeeds. He also reflects on the impact of failures on him and how they have shaped him over time.

Boria: How do you deal with failure when, in spite of all the effort, the team drops multiple catches?

Dilip: So, working with the Indian team, I’ve realised one thing, and that is appreciation and criticism both come with the same intensity, and you have to accept the criticism if you enjoy the appreciation. But, at the end of the day, it would be dishonest of me to say that it doesn’t affect me. Whenever a catch is dropped, I try to put myself in the player’s shoes and think about what the experience would be for that player standing in the middle. That one perspective has removed me from it. My responsibility as a coach is to support that player and restore his confidence. I feel every failure has to be reviewed and not used to create fear. And that’s what has actually helped me a lot.

Boria: Mohammed Siraj missing that Harry Brook catch last year in England. Did you say anything?

Dilip: I’ve learnt over a period of time and realised that each player goes through different emotions once an error happens. At that time, yes, I felt bad because dropping a catch like Brook’s impacts a lot, but I did control my emotions outwardly. I asked Siraj, “What did you feel?” He said he didn’t realise where he was standing. And depending on what he thinks will help me analyse the matter and provide an appropriate solution.

Boria: Suryakumar Yadav’s 2024 T20 World Cup catch of David Miller. Tell us the story.

Dilip: 30 balls, 30 runs, David Miller on strike, the final over of the final match, full toss. I was kneeling down on the boundary line when the ball went up in the air. So, my mind was doing all sorts of calculations at that point when the ball went in the air. But once it was declared a clean catch, I had a surge of emotions. I was up before I even realised. Real credit to Surya because it is one thing to do it in practice and another to go on to a high-pressure match and perform.

Boria: For great catches, it is always Surya’s catch, Axar’s catch, never Dilip’s catch. Did you ever think about such things?

Dilip: Players should get all the credit because, at the end of the day, they are in the middle performing that act under pressure. No, I am not immune to criticism, but maturity is realising that it is part of the responsibility as a coach. And individual growth and team success are major rewards.

Boria: How important is it to have a separate life and bond with players beyond cricket?

Dilip: For me, especially in my way, I see it as absolutely necessary. Going out for coffee at times gives us a chance to know what they feel inside and how to approach them. Over a period of time, players become a lot more open and honest with me. That really helped. I’ve always believed coaching at international level is not about what you say, but how you say it and when you say it.

Boria: You have created these little games. You always try to make things exciting for the team, giving them that competitive spirit. Give me a little bit on that.

Dilip: I think understanding the team is a key aspect. No matter the era, understanding the philosophy and team dynamics is my way of doing things. Many of the practice sessions happen one-on-one, where it is more about specific work for a particular player. I always look deeply into every session and see how it can better help the team.

Boria: Tell me about your thing on baseball.

Dilip: I’m someone who has always believed that I’m an open coach when it comes to learning, and that habit has helped me look into other aspects as well. I played baseball during my college days, football at school and darts at a certain point. Different games provide different aspects, and as a coach, I try to see whether any of that can be incorporated into cricket.

Follow Revsportz for latest sports news

 

Transcribed by Divyasree De

The post T Dilip: ‘When a catch is dropped, I put myself in the player’s shoes’ appeared first on Sports News Portal | Revsportz.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Consistent Nicholas Pooran can be world’s top T20 batter

From scoring ton in Patna to taking on bouncers like a ‘bullet’ in Perth – Nitish’s story of perseverance

Turning the clock back by 0.12 seconds