‘It’s not about the hundred, it’s about the impact’: Gambhir sets India’s next T20 target

After Abhishek Sharma’s blazing 30-ball hundred in the third T20I against Afghanistan at the Arun Jaitley Stadium in New Delhi, Gautam Gambhir, India’s coach, said the bigger positive was the impact created rather than the milestone itself.
“Look, I’ll tell you one thing. I just want to say one thing: it’s not about the hundred that he scored today,” he said at the post-match press conference. “I can sit here and keep talking about his hundred, but it’s just the impact.
“The only thing that we talk about in that dressing room is how much impact can we create with the bat and how much impact can we create with the ball. And that has been our ideology, that has been our philosophy for the last two, two and a half years.
“T20 cricket is not about runs or wickets, it’s about how much impact you can create. And for both Sanju [Samson] and Abhishek, I think you can easily sit here and say one got a 50 and the other one got a 100. But for me, I think the biggest positive was when we got 100 in the powerplay.
“We have never done that in my coaching tenure. So, I think that was a very clear message that if you’re going hard, just keep going hard. That is the message, and that is exactly the message going to be in the future as well, that we still haven’t reached 300.
“So, that’s probably the next target because the kind of talent we have in that dressing room, we should be doing some incredible things. So, we still have a lot of expectations.”
Recurring injuries and player unavailability have made team-building difficult for India, with Gambhir admitting that he wants his young captains to have the best possible playing XI available consistently across formats.
Asked whether continuously changing combinations because of injuries had become a problem for the team, Gambhir said: “See, if I give a dead honest answer, then yes. Because, especially in Test cricket or One-Day cricket, you want your best players to play as much as they can, because the next World Cup is a 50-over World Cup.
“And more importantly, it’s not fair on a young captain as well if he doesn’t get the best team playing consistently and regularly, and not being on the park consistently.
“I can, as a coach, take all the criticism, but for me, I think it is important for Shubman to get the best playing XI as many times as he can in red-ball cricket and in white-ball cricket, 50-over cricket as well.”
Follow RevSportz for latest sports news
The post ‘It’s not about the hundred, it’s about the impact’: Gambhir sets India’s next T20 target appeared first on Sports News Portal | Revsportz.
Comments
Post a Comment