“When the national anthem and flag go up, I may have tears in my eyes” – Mamatha Maben on facing India from Hong Kong, China dugout

A special occasion awaits the Hong Kong, China players when they face Team India at the Dubai International Stadium on September 3 in the Women’s Asia Cup 2026. But more than the players, it could be even more special for the head coach of the Hong Kong, China Women’s team – Mamatha Maben, a former Team India cricketer and skipper.
After representing the Women in Blue in 40 ODIs and four Tests between 1993 and 2004, Maben has enjoyed a brief coaching journey so far. Having served as head coach of Bangladesh and China, while also working as a consultant with Namibia, she is currently at the helm of the Hong Kong, China team. Under her guidance, Hong Kong, China are enjoying a historic Asia Cup campaign.
Now, ahead of the India clash, in an exclusive interaction with RevSportz, Maben opened up about how emotional it would be to hear the Indian national anthem from the opposite dugout, the growth of women’s cricket in India, her admiration for Harmanpreet Kaur, and how this huge clash can help her current team through quality exposure.
“First, I’ll say actually I’m a professional first,” she said. “So my heart will be with Hong Kong cricket primarily. But having said that, I think when the national anthem goes up, I may have tears in my eyes because the national anthem is so dear to us. So when that national anthem and flag go up, I’ll be a little emotional. But barring that, I’m professional enough to have my allegiances with Hong Kong cricket.”
The Women in Blue have been the most successful team so far in this competition, having qualified for the final in each of the previous nine editions and winning seven of those. But it all started in 2004, when they won the inaugural edition in Sri Lanka under the leadership of Maben.

“Actually, that campaign, it was only between three nations originally – India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka,” she said. “But then Pakistan themselves, some issues, they couldn’t come. So it ended up being a five-match series with Sri Lanka.”
She also recalled her famous 6/10 spell in the fourth ODI of that tournament, which still remains the best WODI figures for India.
“The highlight for me was that record, which I think it still stands, six overs, ten runs, six wickets, what happened in that first Asia Cup,” she recalled. “So in that sense, it’s special. But otherwise, it was the first-ever Asia Cup and this tournament is always held in high esteem. So it’s going to be a very prestigious tournament.”
She also heaped praise on the Indian team, especially mentioning the recent growth of women’s cricket in India, crediting the Women’s Premier League (WPL) and the historic 2025 ODI World Cup win.
“See, the Indian team, like you said, post-WPL and then post the World Cup win in 2025, Indian women’s cricket in India has gone through the roof,” she said. “I’m coming from a generation where we had to literally have a begging bowl most of the time to where we stand now. Women’s cricket is in a very, very healthy, ever-evolving situation, which is so happy.

“Like, I remember watching a WPL game in Bangalore, RCB. It was very close to a men’s game’s atmosphere. 90 per cent, it felt like I was watching a men’s game. So it was so heartwarming for all of us former cricketers sitting there to see this day, which we all would dream of.”
She also recalled how tough it used to be for them during their playing days and how heartwarming it is to see the current state of women’s cricket.
“Like, in our days, I sometimes used to think, why for everything do I have to fight? At least if I was a male, I would not have to fight. I would have got the facilities. I remember that thought going through my mind. But then to see this day come. And I’m so happy for all the women cricketers in India that if they choose to play a sport, all they have to give is their heart and they can make it.”
Maben did not hold back in sharing her admiration for Team India skipper Harmanpreet Kaur, especially mentioning the impact she has had with her historic 171-run knock against Australia in the semi-final of the 2017 ODI World Cup.
“For me, Harry is one person who’s very dear to me,” she said. “Like, I probably played a couple of domestic seasons with her. I follow her. And if you ask me, like, I know Shantha (Rangaswamy), Diana (Edulji), Mithali (Raj), Jhulan (Goswami), all are like huge pillars for women’s cricket.

“But if one person changed, flipped the women’s cricket game in India, it is Harry with that 171 knock. Which actually turned, like took it to another level. That is where I feel like, if I have to pick one, I think it’s Harry. For me, I’m a great fan of Harry.”
Maben also mentioned the importance of the India clash and how this huge exposure can help her team grow further.
“For me, this exposure is going to do them a world of good in terms of opening their vision to where actually the elite cricketers are,” she said. “And I’m hoping some of our bowlers have a really good spell against a Harman or a Richa (Ghosh) or a Smriti (Mandhana). That will actually give them the belief.
“So, that is for me the most important aspect of this Asia Cup. It’s the value it brings in terms of the exposure Hong Kong cricket will get. Because this will, in the next two years, definitely compound and help us grow.”
Lastly, she also shared a token of belief that, on their best day, her team could upset anyone, giving Hong Kong, China some hope heading into the India clash.

“I have told my girls that we have a 10% chance,” she said. “We have to learn to take it. I don’t want to be a novice in saying it’s a 50-50%. I mean, I’ll be lying if I say that. But I know we have a slim chance and we have to take it on our best day. I think we can upset any team.”
For More Exciting Articles: Follow RevSportz
The post “When the national anthem and flag go up, I may have tears in my eyes” – Mamatha Maben on facing India from Hong Kong, China dugout appeared first on Sports News Portal | Revsportz.
Comments
Post a Comment