Gavaskar Sets Special Century Target for Rohit Sharma

Rohit Sharma
Rohit Sharma (PC: BCCI)

India legend Sunil Gavaskar wishes that whenever Rohit Sharma chooses to end his career, his century count in ODI cricket should be higher than his age at that time.

Rohit, 39, missed out on scoring his 36th ODI hundred after getting out for 92 against the West Indies in the third ODI in Mullanpur.

Gavaskar was disappointed that Rohit missed out on a century and explained the reason behind his disappointment.

“The reason I was disappointed with Rohit getting out on 92 is that he didn’t get a hundred, and he might possibly quit international cricket after the end of the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2027. At that particular point in time, when he decides to call it a day, I personally would like Rohit to have more ODI hundreds than his age,” Gavaskar said on the Star Sports Network.

For Gavaskar, ending one’s career with more centuries than their age is a special achievement for a player.

“Had he got a century in the third ODI, he would have moved closer to achieving that feat with his 36th hundred. For me, it’s a special thing when a player’s hundreds outnumber their age at retirement. It shows the kind of career they have had and the standard they have maintained for so many years,” he added. “That is why I really want Rohit to reach that mark. In my last year of international cricket, I wanted to score as many Test centuries as my age, and I got out in the 90s three times. If I’d got those hundreds, then my centuries would have matched my age at retirement, which was 38.”

Rohit will be 40 by the time the next World Cup comes around. Before that, he is likely to play the series scheduled against New Zealand, Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe. There’s a good chance of the Indian opener fulfilling Gavaskar’s wish.

The post Gavaskar Sets Special Century Target for Rohit Sharma appeared first on Sports News Portal | Revsportz.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Consistent Nicholas Pooran can be world’s top T20 batter

Turning the clock back by 0.12 seconds

From scoring ton in Patna to taking on bouncers like a ‘bullet’ in Perth – Nitish’s story of perseverance