Harmanpreet Kaur steps down as India captain across all formats

Harmanpreet Kaur stepped down as captain of the Indian women’s cricket team across all formats on Tuesday, which brought to an end a leadership stint that lasted nearly a decade.
The 37-year-old batting all-rounder led India through major moments in their cricket history, including the historic 2025 World Cup triumph. During her tenure, India also reached the final of the T20 World Cup in 2019-20.
Sharing the decision on Instagram, Harmanpreet wrote, “I step down as captain of the Indian Women’s Cricket Team across all formats. This is not an easy decision. It carries years of memories, emotions, sacrifices, and moments that will stay with me for the rest of my life.”
Harmanpreet took over as India’s full-time T20I captain in 2016. As a batter, she became one of India’s finest match-winners; her notable achievement includes scoring an unbeaten 171 against Australia in the 2017 50-over World Cup semi-final.
Harmanpreet also mentioned that she is leaving the role with no regrets. “I have given everything I had to this team and to Indian women’s cricket — my blood, my sweat, my time, and many times, a part of my own game and personal ambitions,” Harmanpreet wrote. “There were moments when I had to put my individual performance, my own growth, and what I wanted for myself aside, because I believed the team had to come first.”
Reflecting on her time as captain, Harmanpreet said, “I have seen it all. I have seen the lowest moments, the heartbreak, the criticism, the doubts and the days when nothing seemed to go our way.”
So far in her international career, she has scored 4541 ODI runs, 4346 T20I runs and 304 runs in Tests. She has also picked 75 wickets in her international career.
She also thanked her teammates, coaches, support staff, management, BCCI, family and fans for standing by her.
Harmanpreet also indicated that stepping down from captaincy does not mean the end of her international career. “Captaincy may end today, but my love for Indian cricket never will…Captaincy ends. The journey continues.”
For latest sports updates: Follow RevSportz
The post Harmanpreet Kaur steps down as India captain across all formats appeared first on Sports News Portal | Revsportz.
Comments
Post a Comment